Lionel Messi is one of the greatest football players of all time. He is known for his incredible skill and precision on the field, as well as his humble personality off the field. Here are 10 fun facts about Lionel Messi that you may not know.
- Messi’s full name is Lionel Andrés Messi. Messi is a common nickname in Argentina and it’s a shortened version of his full name.
- Messi was born in Rosario, Argentina, on June 24, 1987. He was born in a small hospital called the Maternity and Children’s Hospital of Rosario.
- Messi’s parents were both factory workers and he was the third of four children. Messi’s father, Jorge, was a steel factory manager, while his mother, Celia, was a cleaner. Messi has two older brothers, Rodrigo and Matías, and a younger sister, María Sol.
- Messi began playing football at the age of five for a local team called Grandoli. Messi’s love for football began at a very young age, he would spend hours kicking a ball around the streets near his home.
- Messi has a condition called growth hormone deficiency, which stunted his growth. His family could not afford the expensive treatment, which cost $900 a month, but a local football club, Newell’s Old Boys, helped to pay for it. This condition, which is characterized by a lack of growth hormone, can be treated with hormone replacement therapy.
- Messi moved to Spain when he was 13 to join Barcelona’s youth academy. Messi was scouted by Barcelona when he was just 11 years old, but his family couldn’t afford to move to Spain. However, the club offered to pay for his treatment and accommodation, so the Messi family decided to make the move.
- Messi made his professional debut for Barcelona in 2004 at the age of 17. Messi came on as a substitute in a friendly match against Porto. He then made his official debut for Barcelona in October of that year, in a match against Espanyol.
- Messi has won the Ballon d’Or (best player in the world) award seven times, more than any other player in history. He has won the award in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2019, and 2021. He is also the only player to have won it six times in a row.
- Messi has scored over 700 career goals for club and country. He has scored 644 goals for Barcelona and 67 goals for the Argentine national team. He is considered one of the greatest goal scorers in the history of football and continues to break records every season.
- Messi is also a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador, he has been actively involved in charity work and has helped to raise funds for children in need. Messi has been a UNICEF ambassador since 2010 and has made several trips to visit children in need in countries such as Haiti, Indonesia, and India. He has also used his fame and influence to raise awareness about the importance of education and healthcare for children.
In conclusion, Lionel Messi is not only a football legend but also a humble and charitable person. He has overcome personal struggles and has set records that may never be broken. He has also used his platform to make a positive impact in the world and it is no surprise that he is loved and respected by fans all over the world. He continues to inspire people not just on the field but also off the field through his dedication, hardwork, and charity work. Read more articles